Sunday, April 23, 2006

Oral Defense

The time has come to abandon all doubt and chat with my committee members regarding my thesis. Today I'm nervous as expected. But I have another feeling overtaking the nerves. A reassurance that I've worked hard on my writing and at this point, it's as good as it can be.

I accomplished what I set out to do: feel like a writer again. Academia forced me to flip-flop my brain a bit and consider the x's and o's of writing. By attacking an extended creative project I was able to tap back into the otherness of writing, the discovery.

Writing has been about stages, and I witness these stages each semester I teach composition. We learn how to write (the basics). We learn the craft (the style). We learn to enjoy writing (a stage people often don't achieve or choose to ignore). I was able to land firmly in the final stage of writing again. It's a fine place to be. The critic housed on your shoulder is gone. The labeler of techniques disappears. And the chickenshit stylist clucks out of earshot.

The problem isn't setting foot in the third stage. It's thinking that you'll always be there. You need to move around, ignore your footprints, and be willing to get lost.

2 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger Jessie said...

Congrats Adam! I look forward to reading your thesis when it hits the shelves!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Froyd said...

congratulations, you did well I hope?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home